View Single Post
Old
05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
mattyd99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Psssst, guess what? John Tortorella coached one of the top teams in the league - #1 in the East, in fact - just last season, the last time the NHL played a full schedule. So, this observation that the game has passed him by isn't exactly supported by something I like to call evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thank goodness for Henrik Lundqvist.
Your 2nd comment is in response to Kel's playoff appearance post but it can also relate to the Rangers finishing in 1st last year. Granted they played as a better team last year but Lundqvist sure does give Torts a lot of wins.

And Ola's observation is shared by a good number of the board including myself. The evidence is in the games and the past.

I know the rebuttle to Torts being the problem is the talent. Well the coaches job is to maximize the most with what he has. Tom Renney was able to do that. He had a cast of scrubs year in and year out and was able to roll 4 lines and 6 dmen. Torts has had more talent every year, in fact I remember him saying he needed more talent to work with on the team when he first got here, yet in a simplistic system leaves a lot of the fanbase wondering why we can't get more.

I'm not sure if the game has passed him by but it seems like he doesn't want to change lanes and try out these new approaches. It's a shame because whether it's stubbornness or just plain being naive it will be his undoing.