Old
05-08-2013, 07:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
Awful post-season was not necessarily his fault. They treated him very poorly in that run and still, for whatever reason, trusted Michael Leighton in net over Sergei.

I know the argument that he wanted to start, but we should have given him that opportunity and used the extra cap space to get a defense that could play in front of him this past season. Instead we used it on Bryz (who isn't a bad goalie), but you can't expect the numbers he had in a defensive system like Tippett's was in Phoenix. Don't think Lavy has every played a "defense first/offensive second" type of game, so you'd need to have top notch defenders for him to achieve close to the success he had with the Yotes. We just didn't have those type of defenders.
Sure it wasn't entirely his fault, but he still played poorly. With hindsight it looks like a bad move at this point. But at the time, given the circumstances, I think most teams make the same move (signing a proven, former Vezina finalist rather than going with an unproven kid who imploded in his first post-season).

Both choices have risks. We are living the risks of getting Bryz...poor performance out of the "proven" commodity and stellar performance out of the young guy who imploded. There is also a risk in keeping Bob and not going after Bryz...Bryz plays well elsewhere, Bob fizzles and we are again looking for a franchise goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You're leaving out a huge chunk of context: His undeniable talent and potential and young age, meaning he had lots of time to put it together.
Oh for sure, but having lots of talent, and having lots of time doesn't mean anything will actually happen. With the benefit of hindsight, it looks like it was a bad move. Bob put it together and played out of his mind this year. Bryz meanwhile has **** the bed at every turn. But again, at the time, neither of those things were guarantees. In fact, I would argue that at the time it seemed much more likely that Bryz plays at an elite level and Bob doesn't.

I would also like to point out that Bob has played three seasons. One good one, one bad one, and this one (which was only half a year). I'm not taking away from what he has done, but before we start getting too crazy let's see how he does next season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote