View Single Post
Old
05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I have a problem with it if it means they assumed certain guys wouldn't be there and thus didn't scout them as heavily as they could/should have. We'll have more info on this discussion in a few years to see if Grigorenko and Forsberg end up being steals at their draft spot.
What Washington did at their draft table indicates that that exact thing occurred.

Washington fans said that they typically picked a player to draft, and then had all the scouts run through all the possibilities for the future and make their case for their own player they thought should be picked, etc. It was basically a big circle discussion discussing any player they thought would be available. They were seen doing this at the actual draft when they were up to pick, and most people believed that they were doing exactly that but discussing Forsberg, whom it was speculated they didn't scout heavily as they expected him to be gone.

That's all speculation of course, but seems pretty likely.

Just think about it. Why would Dallas bother scouting MacKinnon or Barkov if we didn't have plans on moving up? That'd be wasted time and effort when the whole hockey world knows they won't be there at 10.

I see what you're saying, and I do have a feeling Washington scouted Grigorenko, but Forsberg was the surprise that fell to them.