View Single Post
Old
05-09-2013, 01:06 AM
gretzkyoilers

vCash: 500
Interesting Jagr Quote

From a recent article in the Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...UYM/story.html)

Quote:
In one way, the speed of the NHL has made it hard for Jagr to keep up. But Jagr is now playing against smaller opponents who cant grab and hook and hold him when he goes to work. Jagrs trademark puck-protection game might be harder to defend now.

You hear, Hes older, hes losing a step, hes losing speed, Jagr said. In my opinion, I dont think I lost much. Im 240 [pounds]. Everybody else is at 180. When I played 10 years, 15 years ago, everybody was 240, 230. It was a different game. Dont forget that. I dont think Im slow for a 240-pound guy.

On the other side, I have a huge advantage on the boards. I never had it before 10-15 years ago. Just look at those defensemen who played before. It was all 6-5, 6-4. The league has changed to the smaller and faster guys. You have a disadvantage on one side, but you have a huge advantage on the other side.
With all of the talk of a "bigger, stronger, faster" "new" NHL, Jags admits that the league now favours smaller, faster players.

Why all the talk of bigger players in today's NHL? Marketing hype?

One note from the Bruins players when Jagr joined the team was that they could not get over how big Jagr is.

gretzkyoilers is offline   Reply With Quote