View Single Post
05-09-2013, 01:07 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Likely no statistics available for hitting in pee-wee in Quebec. There was none when I was in Atom. They brought it in for 2 years when I was in pee-wee (but only rep leagues) and then they got rid of it. No one was tracking this type of thing in the 80's.

Quebec has a large rural population too. Lots of farm kids in Quebec. Quebec isn't just Montreal. Have you ever watched the Quebec Semi Pro (Wrestling) Hockey League.... most of those guys grew up playing in Quebec and that's a very violent (bush) league. There's no fact there....just opinion. The Quebec junior teams are doing fine in the Memorial Cup against western farm boys. Champions the last 2 years.
I wasnt calling out Quebec hockey, I was just trying to idenitfy if the size difference may be one possibility. What works in Quebec wont work in AB type thing. All I can speak of is my personal experience. I played bantam probaly 6-7 years ago and it way a very rough league, especially against the farm teams.

I just cant agree with the statistics till I see a province/state that went from hitting in peewee to hitting in bantam and see the % change in injuries. If the studies show that delaying hitting till bantam decreased injuries in bantam kids from the time periods when kids came in knowing how to hit vs the kids who come in just learning how to hit.

Common sense tells me injuries in bantam will increase when kids are learning how to hit, essantially delaying a kids injury by a year. And once they enter bantam, those size difference in kids will grow, magnifying any injuries. In peewee a 5 foot kid will run into a 4'6 kid, in bantam a 5'7 kid will run into 4'9 kid

I cannot be fully nuetral since I just finished playing hockey, but I am in favour of teaching them early. Lacrosse does it, then helped me adjust in that sport when I was in novice, and its parlayed into hockey, so when I when into peewee hockey I had little problems.

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote