View Single Post
Old
05-09-2013, 02:47 AM
CanaFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
You want me to list all the guys gillis has? There is a lot more. Again give them time to develop. I urge you to visit the prospect thread and talk to some people who know more than both of us. We have many great D prospects, and a few good forwards that look like they have a chance at making it somewhere.

EVERY team in the NHL has prospects that look like they "have a chance of making it somewhere". Know what happens to 90% of them? Nothing. This is the fallacy that plagues fans when looking at Gillis' draft - because it is "too early" to judge, every prospect who looks like he can skate, hit, or pass the puck looks like a potential NHLer. By comparison, we've had sufficient time to determine which of Nonis' picks were "busts". But you realize that Nonis had just as many picks play in the AHL as Gillis, right? I mean, at the time, Sergei Shirokov looked like a legit NHLer. Everyone thought Mario Bliznak was a future 3rd liner. Juraj Simek looked great in one year of junior after the draft and many thought we had a steal. So before you give too much praise to Gillis for a bunch of guys who are still "too early to judge" but "look like NHLers", think about how likely it is that any of these guys - beyond Gaunce, Jensen, and Corrado - will ever actually play more than a handful of games at the NHL level. And this is after 5 drafts for Gillis. Nonis had just 4 and produced Schneider, Hansen, Edler, Raymond, and Grabner. Seems to me Gillis gets a lot of benefit of the doubt on his drafting so far ...

CanaFan is online now   Reply With Quote