View Single Post
Old
05-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
It's not so much being absolute about it. It's realizing that a lot of things are out of any GMs control and he's done mostly good with the options available. Bottom 6 players have mostly just not played to the level that he expected or history said they should have. A guy like Zeus was a terror to play against when he was with LA and pretty much every other team. It was entirely reasonable for DW to expect a higher level of play. That didn't materialize. Not really DW fault. No one should be *****in about slight overpayments though. That is a fact of life as a SJ fan. History has shown FA don't want to come to SJ. They have to be traded there to see what it's like then they realize how great it is.

Many teams reaching for the shiny cup trade away valuable assets to try and make a run. When the team is close the GMs go all out. DW isn't the only one guilty of that. I'm not saying everything he's done has been perfect, I'm just saying he's easily above average as a GM and the reality is the sharks could have been a lot worse off with someone else at the helm. The grass isn't always greener.
For a guy like Handzus, that was easily within DW's control. Handzus wasn't exactly the terror you make him out to be prior to coming to San Jose. He was given 2nd line minutes out of necessity in LA and produced at a 3rd line level. He was never that tough to play against.

The role players haven't played that well here because DW has rarely targeted the right guy and/or the right fit. And really, if history shows FA's don't want to come here, why sign them especially at that level? This is where he should be developing players to fill those spots. Let your young guys come in and play and if it doesn't work, trade for someone later.

I agree that he's above average as a GM but he hasn't gotten the job done and there are very clear indicators as to why and it falls on him. What good does it do to stick with a guy that will get close but never get you over the top?

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote