View Single Post
Old
05-09-2013, 10:52 AM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
EVERY team in the NHL has prospects that look like they "have a chance of making it somewhere". Know what happens to 90% of them? Nothing. This is the fallacy that plagues fans when looking at Gillis' draft - because it is "too early" to judge, every prospect who looks like he can skate, hit, or pass the puck looks like a potential NHLer. By comparison, we've had sufficient time to determine which of Nonis' picks were "busts". But you realize that Nonis had just as many picks play in the AHL as Gillis, right? I mean, at the time, Sergei Shirokov looked like a legit NHLer. Everyone thought Mario Bliznak was a future 3rd liner. Juraj Simek looked great in one year of junior after the draft and many thought we had a steal. So before you give too much praise to Gillis for a bunch of guys who are still "too early to judge" but "look like NHLers", think about how likely it is that any of these guys - beyond Gaunce, Jensen, and Corrado - will ever actually play more than a handful of games at the NHL level. And this is after 5 drafts for Gillis. Nonis had just 4 and produced Schneider, Hansen, Edler, Raymond, and Grabner. Seems to me Gillis gets a lot of benefit of the doubt on his drafting so far ...
That's all great and all, and I was not saying our prospect pool was great, it is bottom half in the NHL. But if you read the guy I have been replying to he was comparing gillis to nonis in terms of drafting, gillis has been much better.

Your argument is the exact argument I was making. We don't know where so e of these guy will be, however your playing in the AHL argument holds little water as we so far have been using other leagues to de elop players. Gillis so far has Hodgson schreoder corrado Jensen that have played in the NHL with many more looking probable.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote