View Single Post
Old
05-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Fourteen goaltenders who played in the O6 era are in the HHOF. Four of them (Francis, Giacomin, Parent, Cheevers) aren't really "O6" goalies.

So that's ten goalies from 25 years. Chris Osgood played seventeen seasons from 1993-94 through 2010-11. From 1967-68 through 1985-86 there were seven goalies, with guys like Moog, Vachon, and even Mike Liut probably as worthy as some of those from the era who did get in. So let's look at the best goalies from 1986-87 through 2011-12 (I'd go 90-91 to 2014-15, but it's only 2013):

We have the obvious ones: Hasek, Roy, Belfour, Brodeur.

After that, who are the next-best three-six goalies? You probably have to include Osgood, Joseph, Luongo, Barrasso, and there are arguments for Kolzig and Thomas (among others) to round out the group.

So unless you think the period Osgood played in was hugely devoid of goaltending talent historically, he's certainly as worthy as many guys already in based on peer-to-peer comparison.

As for actual ability, there's a thread about player evolution. His 2008 season/playoff and his 2009 run certainly make an argument for late-career abilities; how many guys do you see have runs like that multiple times who are NOT great goalies? Examples are appreciated.
Now, I didn't ask for a plump for bean counting and affirmative action for DPE goalies. I asked which goaltenders in the HHOF are you claiming Osgood is superior to. I want specific names.

"As for actual ability, there's a thread about player evolution." That's basically BS.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote