View Single Post
Old
05-09-2013, 04:48 PM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
It may be the end game. It may not. Would it not be a good idea to at least make the attempt to improve player safety rather than say..."The amount of concussions in minor hockey is acceptable. We see no reason to change."

In discussions with several hockey parents over the last 24 hours, the feedback is positive with the decision. Three of us have kids in Peewee. Two with initiation kids.

The one person I talked to that didn't like it played AAA and that small kids going to Bantam would be at severe risk. That I couldn't disagree with.
The way this is going there won't be hitting bantam soon.

After talking with fellow former parents of AAA and AA players, our kids are now 18+, we think that the players will be worse off now, once comes to the higher levels. The consensus was that hitting isn't necessary at all levels. Us Neanderthals, figured a better option would have been to have hitting for the top teams. Reasons for this option:
- parents would have the choice if they wanted contact or not
- have tryouts for these teams, associations would ultimately make the decision on who makes the team. And specific player's safety could be a determining factor
- all the rest we be tiered accordingly, and a level of competitiveness could be maintained and no body checking
- smaller towns that would have only two teams would have to split their teams

- this isn't perfect, but just some ideas, I still think the best alternative was to try single age groups for a few seasons.

Last edited by timekeep: 05-09-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: and no body checking
timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote