Ot:hockey alberta eliminates body checking in peewee division
View Single Post
05-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Join Date: Jun 2002
Originally Posted by
The way this is going there won't be hitting bantam soon.
After talking with fellow former parents of AAA and AA players, our kids are now 18+, we think that the players will be worse off now, once comes to the higher levels. The consensus was that hitting isn't necessary at all levels. Us Neanderthals, figured a better option would have been to have hitting for the top teams. Reasons for this option:
- parents would have the choice if they wanted contact or not
- have tryouts for these teams, associations would ultimately make the decision on who makes the team. And specific player's safety could be a determining factor
- all the rest we be tiered accordingly, and a level of competitiveness could be maintained
- smaller towns that would have only two teams would have to split their teams
- this isn't perfect, but just some ideas, I still think the best alternative was to try single age groups for a few seasons.
But there doesn't seem to be a negative impact in jurisdictions that have already eliminated hitting in Peewee.
And as someone who has a son in Peewee, I agree that hitting in Edmonton would be best suited for Tiers 4 and higher.
My goal isn't to have hitting out of hockey. I know Atom kids that learned to skate in first year of hockey. To suggest that someone in Tier 8 Peewee needs to have bodychecking is downright ludicrous. The biggest complaints about this is the people that have kids that are elite or former elite players.(Saw Valk on Twitter complaining about the new rules)
So maybe they could lobby to have higher levels have contact.
View Public Profile
Visit Slats432's homepage!
Find More Posts by Slats432