View Single Post
05-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Richter Scale
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
No, it's not at all. You instantly assume this isn't the case just because someone lacks confidence in the team. You can both be without confidence in your team, but also cheer for them to succeed. They are not mutually exclusive. You also assume because someone determines in their own mind, from their own point of view that the team is relatively average, they are not or can not be happy with the fact they are winning games.

It's called not having high expectations. There's nothing wrong with setting yourself up for what is probably the most likely scenario, yet still hoping it will not be the case.

You can cheer for the team however you want, but don't tell the rest of us how to do it.
Twist my post however you like by taking a couple sentences out of context... doesn't change the fact that the main point I was trying to convey was not about "cheering the 'right way' " but instead *****ing about a subset of people on these boards who go out of their way to find reasons that this team is awful no matter what happens - and even if the reasons they cite are complete hogwash. There is a big difference between the two.

The quote I referenced is a prime example of that. In fact, the Caps have been one of the best teams in the league this year; they are not a god awful team as was implied. But because apparently the Rangers (or their coach - to keep it on topic) couldn't possibly be doing something right by winning a few games against them, the facts get thrown out the window and a bs reason for why they won is offered.

The point was not whether you cheer for this team the "right way" or not. I even went out of the way to say you don't have to be optimistic. Go ahead and be your pessimistic self. Just don't force the rest of us to read stuff that is patently false so that you can put up a defense mechanism (I'm using "you" in a general sense). It is an act that gets old very quickly.