View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 01:39 AM
alanschu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
So why not just eliminate all contact then?

What makes a 12 year old so special that he shouldn't be injured, but it's perfectly ok for a 15 year old to be?
Maybe you're right. I'm sure the association examines it. Though I must point out that your response is not irrelevant to the original assertion you made that I responded to (logical fallacy: moving the goal posts). The fact that Quebec has removed hitting in Peewee, yet has no difference in injury rates in Bantam, completely and utterly undermines any argument that refusing to allow peewee kids to hit will make them more prone to injury in the future. As a result, you now must rely on misdirection and obfuscating what the discussion is about. Though I certainly won't undermine your assessment that perhaps hitting should be removed from all leagues, as that's your judgment to make.

Back to the discussion, there are also cognitive development angles to consider. Teenagers have significantly improved cognitive abilities to improve a lot of their decision making. Here's a brief introduction that illustrates that adolescents are typically better at abstract thinking and understanding the possible consequences for their actions (to themselves and to others). That is, they also become more capable of understanding and making a better informed decision as to whether or not they feel comfortable playing in a league with hitting. Unfortunately a parent doesn't actually receive and interpret the sensory input that the child actually receives. At best, the parent could start assessing their child's proprioception and the like, but unless properly controlled, most parents won't have a clue how to do this.

The Learn to train stage for boys is typically considered 9-12, because until then no matter how much they play growing up, there are physical deficiencies in motor control that still need to be developed through maturation. By having 10 and 11 year old kids (or younger!) take part in hitting, you are putting them in a position to learn how to deal with potentially serious collisions at a time when they are fundamentally less capable of learning those skills. (which is most likely why there's no observable difference between Quebec and Alberta's Bantam injury rates). Doubly so when hockey skating is a skill that specifically requires a high degree of physical control and coordination compared to almost any other sport out there.

For the vast, vast majority of players, they should still be looking on improving their technical skills (skating, balance, stickhandling, etc.) because while a solid foundation exists from playing younger, their bodies are just now at a level of maturation to truly allow mastering of those skills.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote