Thread: Speculation: MacKinnon vs Drouin
View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, of its easier to fix the D, why haven they? Goalies?

Don't envy anything about em, and I don't think they're in a better position at all.
It's not easy to fix anything at the NHL level, but it's easier IMO compared to fixing the forwards. How many years have we gone without any offense to speak of, excluding last year when our first line got hot for a few weeks?

Going into the season, if you told me our defense consisted of Brewer, Salo, Matt Carle, Hedman, Ohlund, and a couple of scrubs, I'd tell you it looks like a decent defensive core. Given that there was a lockout shortened season, several of those "veteran guys" who had been sitting on their couches looked awful (Brewer and others, similar to what Weiss and Steeg looked like (injuries aside, not debating that here). I love Petrovic's potential, and I like Kulikov. I hope that Gudbranson can continue to improve and become a good top 2 guy, but outside of that, Jovo, Weaver, and Kuba are mediocre. Weaver doesn't belong in that category with those two slugs, but he's nothing fantastic either.

I really want us to be able to contend for a playoff spot next year, and with a healthy team, I think we can. It's really important that we get a guy like MacKinnon and use this draft as a way to fill in the organizational holes. Hopefully we pick up a goaltender in one of the first 4 rounds or so. Our future defense looks great. I'm not totally convinced about our future offense, as I said above. I remember when we had drafted Weiss, and then added Horton to our core of Bouw and Luongo almost 10 years ago. You can find some posts where I didn't just blindly believe in our prospects, yet questioned whether they'd be a sufficient core to the supposed "cup contending teams" we were said to be building. Times are way different now, and there's reason for optimism, but despite our trainwreck of a season due to injuries, it's no guarantee that we're going to be ready to make any noise in the next year or two. Lots of question marks, but at least we appear to be on the right track, with MacKinnon being as central to that as anyone on the roster, Huberdeau included.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote