View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Wow

Shockingly narrow-minded responses on this thread. Well, its HF, so I probably shouldn't be too surprised. Bergevin made his mistakes, I'll give you that, but what does a young team need most? A patient GM, and that is what we seem to have found.

I remember visiting the boards 2 months ago and half of you were calling for trades that would have brought in veterans at the cost of Eller and/or draft picks. This team is set up beautifully for the future. I'm sure Bergevin knew that this wasn't our year before the play-offs even started. I'm happy with his no sacrifice approach.

I didn't like the Erik Cole move at first (because Cole seemed to be the kind of guy we needed), but clearly the Habs knew something we didn't - Cole has apparently checked out of the league and Ryder helped us land first place in the Division.

I don't like the DD contract either, but let's not forget that he was one of our top 3 forwards last season. Personally I hope we realize that Eller and Pleks are our true top 2 and Deharnais has no place on the squad, but even still, I hardly rate this as a mortal blunder.

Same goes with PK. We forget that truly he had yet to prove he was worth a long term $5/$6 a year deal. So he comes out and silences doubters. Fine, not really a mistake, and not especially predictable. It would have been a worse mistake the other way... had we sunk ourselves with the big contract and he came out playing like the immature kid he looked like in game three of this series. At worst this move saved us $3 million this season and will cost us an extra $2 million a year going forward.

Drewske, who cares? Boullion depth signing, no harm done? Budaj, meh. Kaberle, fine. Prust, fantastic. Gomez, finally.

The core of Eller, Galchenyuk, PK, Pacioretty and Gallagher (if they can protect him) are as good as any young group in the league. Pleks, Prust, Bourque, Moen, Gorges and Deharnais are locked into reasonable long term contracts and both Tinordi and Beaulieu are being smartly eased into the mix of soon to be departing older defencemen. We have, what, 5 top 3 round picks in a great draft? Hopefully 1 or 2 of those picks will become a part of this project. Let's hope he drafts bigger players to address our holes in that area. There is also a pretty deep selection of larger bodies in the UFA pool this year. You can expect another Prust type signing after what happened in Ottawa. Bergevin was watching the same games we were.

If we ever get NHL caliber goaltending on a regular basis this team will be one of the best in the league for at least the next 5 seasons. Things are looking good. Thank god HF couch GMs don't run this team!

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote