View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I was rather interested in this debate until I saw the above quote.

Making changes that affect everybody for "the greater good" is a really slippery slope that can impinge on human freedoms. I'm not saying this is the first step in becoming some crazy world where all our actions are dictated or anything like that, but by simply accepting things like this, you're limiting your decisions on how to raise your kid.

I'd say that the most important thing that can be done is to educate parents as much as possible on the pros/cons of hitting hockey and allow them to make an INFORMED decision.

If, at that point, they don't want their kids playing in a contact league, they can sign them up for a non-contact league.

TL;DR - Educate the parents then allow them to make the decision
But that decision is a lot tougher when the kid is 4 years old and will be playing 8 years of competitive hockey before the decision has to be made. A little more complicated to make that choice.

Also, the non contact league is also non competitive. I like competition, but I don't like the 500 concussions Alberta kids get every year playing Peewee.

The other issue is that all of our culture, money, volunteer efforts are based on supporting "Minor hockey". The same options aren't available for people who agree with this decision. (Although it doesn't have a huge affect on me or my son either way.)

Slats432 is online now   Reply With Quote