View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
I find it hard to argue with most of this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...altending.html

Quote:
My inbox was filled with vitriol for asking Bryzgalov after the season if he thought he'd been professional during his tenure with the Flyers. Some saw that as out of line. On the ice, Bryzgalov has been mostly professional - aside from the water bottle and stick throwing - and he has put in an honest effort. Can anyone say that he has handled himself in the most professional way in front of a microphone? He's been a headline writer's dream and a front-office nightmare.

For the record, I do not believe Bryzgalov to be a bad person. He is a family man who clearly enjoys spending time with his kids, who were often around the rink. I do not believe him to be a bad goaltender. None of this is personal - we don't have any sort of relationship, positive, negative or otherwise. And a reporter's job is not to be liked, but rather to answer tough questions like how to solve the Flyers' goaltending.

I do believe, though, that Bryzgalov has been a marginal goaltender in his 99 appearances as a Flyer. His combined save percentage in 99 games in .902. His goals-against average is 2.61.

Take all of Bryzgalov's "color" out of the mix for a second. Are those stats worth $5.667 million a year for the next 7 years? That's 8.8 percent of next year's salary cap.

When you throw Bryzgalov's personality back into the mix, which clearly has the ability to rub team-first players the wrong way, I think the answer becomes a bit clearer. It's easy to say, because I don't need to write off $23 million over the next 14 years.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote