View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One has to consider general coordination at different relative ages.

Ever ride a unicycle? Or a long tandem bike with people that don't know how to ride a tandem bike and that the actions and movements of one effects all?

Now try to consider partaking of these activities in a contact sport.

What I'm getting at here is that hockey in general requires a degree of coordination simply not found in most other sports. A degree of coordination not always found at a young age.

As mentioned this is not hitting in football, or Lacrosse, which anybody could do with a modicum of coordination and timing. Its hitting, receiving hits in an already dangerous environment that occurs on ice, propelled by lethal skates moving players at high speeds in any direction an environment where only solid, unforgivable boards contain the mayhem.

Simply put few kids playing hockey have the adequate coordination to take and receive hits safely at this level and its unwise to assume they do.

Nor do kids have the informed consent to make decisions that could very well impact the rest of their lives in one nanosecond of avoidable tragedy.

For young kids, hockey is dangerous enough. Doing anything to make it a safer activity for all concerned is something I applaud.
I agree to an extent with some of your points.

As for kids not having the coordination to take and receive hits safely at that level I'm a bit on the fence myself. I don't know that I agree with it starting at whatever level it was before but starting at a younger age when the collisions aren't so big/violent is something I have no issues with.

I guess to use your bike analogy, you slowly get used to the motion of your bike with the training wheels, then parental guidance, then you're on your own. Exposing kids to potentially bigger hits (based on increased size of kids at higher level) to me seems too much like skipping the parental guidance phase between training wheels and being let off on your own - you're going to have some big tumbles without gradually working up to it.

I agree that kids don't have the informed consent but that's generally a pretty vague argument that can be made for any decision a parent ever makes. To limit it strictly to this doesn't really fit, in my opinion, unless you want to bring in drinking, smoking, school choices, vehicle choices, etc. etc.

Like I was saying to Bobblehead, I respect your opinion on the matter, I'm just of the mind that the parents should be given the choice.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote