View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
For sure its sarcasm. First you argue that any decision by a governing body (people are taking offense to calling it a government.....they're a governing body) is an infringement on your (and others') personal freedom to decide for themselves. Then you say these same individuals can only make the decision IF they're educated on the matter. Which is it? total freedom to choose (first post) or only freedom to choose under certain conditions that you deem necessary (second post).

You're imposing your standards and political agenda on others. Exactly the thing you criticized in the first post.
Just to clarify a few things...

I never said that any decision by a governing body is an infringement, I think that this case is. A small but important distinction

Hmm, that's a good point. Basically I've always been of the mindset that people should make informed decisions as opposed to just decisions - maybe that's coloring my argument too much.

Basically what I'd like to see are informed parents with the ability to make a choice between contact or non-contact. So I guess... a choice without a choice? I don't know how you want to define that, haha.

I don't have a political agenda though, I'm not sure where you got that from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
My point was we don't educate and then say "choose". You are obliged by law to wear a seatbelt. Communities add flouride to the drinking water or not. You don't get to choose what comes into your house (unless you have a water well I guess). You don't get to choose to employ child laborers. Of course we're educated on it. But we don't get to choose. Government and governing bodies do that for you and for the "greater good". That was my point.

We've agreed that we have different thresholds of acceptance for government/regulatory body intervention. So I agree with you let's move on.
I agree that we don't give people the choice - I'm just saying that you don't necessarily have to agree with what we're obliged to do.

I think your examples above are quite a bit off the scale compared to contact vs. no-contact hockey though - just an opinion.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote