View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I agree to an extent with some of your points.

I guess to use your bike analogy, you slowly get used to the motion of your bike with the training wheels, then parental guidance, then you're on your own. Exposing kids to potentially bigger hits (based on increased size of kids at higher level) to me seems too much like skipping the parental guidance phase between training wheels and being let off on your own - you're going to have some big tumbles without gradually working up to it.

That's why we need a development program like Hockey USA (BTW I believe they've banned checking in PeeWee nation wide, I thought I read they were considering elite levels, but cannot find it). Teach checking through clinics in PeeWee. Teach the coaches how to teach - shoulder checks, body poistioning, don't turn your back, head up, etc.... run PeeWee practices that involve checking drills and skills to initiate them. Team scrimmages with checking so kids can get used to it in a controled environment before Bantam. Don;t jsut ban it outright, ban it and come up with a plan/program for when and how to introduce it in PeeWee. But don't allow it in the games until they become proficient.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote