View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I agree to an extent with some of your points.

As for kids not having the coordination to take and receive hits safely at that level I'm a bit on the fence myself. I don't know that I agree with it starting at whatever level it was before but starting at a younger age when the collisions aren't so big/violent is something I have no issues with.

I guess to use your bike analogy, you slowly get used to the motion of your bike with the training wheels, then parental guidance, then you're on your own. Exposing kids to potentially bigger hits (based on increased size of kids at higher level) to me seems too much like skipping the parental guidance phase between training wheels and being let off on your own - you're going to have some big tumbles without gradually working up to it.

I agree that kids don't have the informed consent but that's generally a pretty vague argument that can be made for any decision a parent ever makes. To limit it strictly to this doesn't really fit, in my opinion, unless you want to bring in drinking, smoking, school choices, vehicle choices, etc. etc.

Like I was saying to Bobblehead, I respect your opinion on the matter, I'm just of the mind that the parents should be given the choice.
In an increasingly diverse nation with so many newcomers or immigrants that have come from non hockey worlds this point is blurred.

The fact of the matter is that an increasing amount of parents wouldn't have enough knowledge, and limited if any direct experience, to make this judgement call for their kids.

They may actually watch hockey, underestimate how difficult it is based on pro level play, and may allow their kids to play with really no basis either to make such informed consent. In other words that they may trust that Canada's sport, which so many canadians have played, and embraced, is much safer than it is. They, and their children, may feel peer pressured into taking part in a national sport they are not prepared for. A "when in rome" cultural integration may take place without knowing the finer details.
Consider for instance a child learning hockey that doesn't have the parent, older brothers, uncles, etc, to teach them some of the important aspects of the game and head on a swivel and up at all times wisdom. Don't assume that everybody would have this background and instruction that many of us may feel is almost inherent or instinctive.

More safety, education, and prevention is required to mitigate an increasingly dangerous sport.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote