View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 12:17 PM
The Big Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Fair enough sir.

The bolded rules me out. My give a **** about the relegation WC has left the station. Its just hard to take this tourney seriously. I'll stop posting in the thread. The only reason I watch is I tend to be a nightowl and its one better than the infomercials. Which is odd because I like hockey on big ice but tend not to like how is made of a tournament that means nothing. You can't ascertain anything anytime on where hockey nations are at on the basis of this tourney. Which is always going on as the NHL provides its best product.

To Wit teams like France look closer in the rear view mirror because any half decent player from France is available to play in this tournament.
In some way, success of nations like Sweden, Russia, Czech, Slovakia, Finland, in establishing so many players on the NHL level means they are less prepared for this tourney. Particularly hockey nations with a finite amount of Pro level talent.
It's this right here that is why we need the World Cup to come back and the NHL to continue it's participation in the Olympic Games. Best on best tournaments are the only way to really determine how well a country's hockey programs are working. That's why the WJHC is such a great tournament, that's why the Olympics are the best level of hockey around.

Having said that, the annual WC has a lot of merit too. Not because it's the best quality hockey around but because it gives weaker hockey nations (like France) a chance to play superior hockey nations and have a chance to compete. I'm willing to bet that countries like Switzerland and Germany have become stronger as a result.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote