View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I was rather interested in this debate until I saw the above quote.

Making changes that affect everybody for "the greater good" is a really slippery slope that can impinge on human freedoms. I'm not saying this is the first step in becoming some crazy world where all our actions are dictated or anything like that, but by simply accepting things like this, you're limiting your decisions on how to raise your kid.

I'd say that the most important thing that can be done is to educate parents as much as possible on the pros/cons of hitting hockey and allow them to make an INFORMED decision.

If, at that point, they don't want their kids playing in a contact league, they can sign them up for a non-contact league.

TL;DR - Educate the parents then allow them to make the decision
A lot of small towns don't have this option. They can only ice a single team, and they have to play against neighbouring towns that can also only ice one or two teams. By making it the parent's choice, you could see a lot of those small town teams fold, because the parents get torn fifty-fifty between contact and non-contact. That means a lot more kids are going to have to travel even farther for games and practices. Odds are, that decreases participation and enrollment.