Thread: End of an era!
View Single Post
Old
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
King of the ES*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Thought we should have a thread recognizing that this is the end of a very special era. Easily the greatest and most successful team in the history of the franchise. Major changes are coming but damn, we had it good for quite a while.
Somewhat oddly, my favourite version of this era was 2008-09. I really liked the additions of Bernier & Wellwood, and I loved that we were in the mix for Sundin. I recall being bullish on the team, while most other people were bearish, and I recall blasting Calgary 5 or 6-0 on opening night with Bernier (and Burrows) playing the game of his life.

When we got Sundin, I was ecstatic. I thought it was a fantastic signing. Incredibly, he mostly forgot how to play the game of hockey between the finish of the 07-08 season and that first game he laced up for us against the Oilers, but I thought the idea was great, and I don't for one second blame Gillis for wanting Mats on the team. I thought it made a lot of sense.

I think that was also the year where we could've gone up 3 - 2 on the Hawks had Mitchell not made that defensive zone clearing error, right to Havlat's stick.

Anyway, that team was the most exciting, IMO. That was also the year that both Kesler and Burrows really established themselves as good NHL players.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote