View Single Post
Old
01-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Dafoe is simply too expensive for almost any team in the NHL. He's NOT a 3.5 mil goaltender. I'm not saying he's a horrible goaltender, but his contract makes him pretty hard to move.

(Doesn't he have PLAYER options instead of TEAM options? How could Waddell give him a contract like that?)
Remember Dafoe is in his last year of his contract so any team that is looking to acquire him now would only play half that salary.

My guess Waddell gave him a player option a season ago so that Dafoe gets a little security. Remember we signed him about a quarter or so into last season at a reduced rate of about $1mil so the player option gave Byron a chance to extend his stay with Atlanta at a salary that intially reflected his value. Atlanta couldn't sign him for $3.5mil last season because they had Hnilicka and Rhodes still on their books.

If Byron keeps playing consistently (like his Bruins form three seasons ago) then paying him $3.5mil is not that bad. However I very much doubt he be back next season with Lehtonen probably ready for some NHL action.

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 01-02-2004 at 09:05 PM.