View Single Post
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Ti you do realize that when you ditch the girls teams for the boys team you are doing two things.

1 - You are being selfish. You've put your own needs ahead of the teams and the game itself. You'd rather leave then stay and help develop the woman's program.

2 - You are lessoning the quality of those girls teams.

If every talented girl played on the boys teams. The girls teams would be a joke and it may discourage other girls from playing that sport. It may even lead to bigger problems where the school or town decides a girls program is not longer needed since the more talented girls are playing for the boys team. Several posters here have hit on that. Would you have wanted to play boys baseball if there were three or four other girls of your skill level on each of the girls teams...I am guessing no.

I look at Michelle Wie. Instead of competing in the LPGA she's focused on the PGA tour. The things she could do for woman's golf by concentrating on the LPGA and winning titles there would be greater then the exposure she'd get playing on the PGA and finishing at the bottom of the bracket.

If woman want woman's sports to be taken seriously. They need to keep the most talented woman in that sport. The woman playing those sports have to realize that and keep in mind that leaving to play with the boys will only hurt the future of woman's sports.
How did I put my needs in front of that of the team? We would go to tournaments, lose every game by about 10 runs and I would still get the MVP. Isn't it better for a team when they can all learn at the same speed and level and not have someone who is heads above them? That way they don't feel like they need to match up to the best player on the team.

I'm sure you're also going to think that it was selfish of me to go to another province to train for 4 years and leave my home province. What is someone supposed to do when the position they are in no longer allows them to improve as an athlete? Just be happy with what they have?

Let's take a look here in Calgary. A new NWHL team was started in Strathmore. Isn't it selfish of them to start a team JUST for a good players? Just for the players who can play at that high level? There ARE other teams for them to play on. They're being selfish and they're lessening the quality of all of the other teams in and around Calgary.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote