View Single Post
Old
05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers have a new starting goalie for next season. No Dubnyk was not the weakest link this past season, but after Carey Price's meltdown and a few other big name goalies having less than stellar seasons it may be the perfect opportunity to try and nab a more established goalie.
Depends on the salary. With the cap coming down, any true starter (with a relatively high salary) isn't really compatible with the Oilers cap situation going forward.

More than ever, teams are going to be seriously questioning paying a goalie $4+ million... and you can probably get any one of several starter goalies as "cap dumps" this summer.

Saying that, do the Oilers really want to tie up more multi-millions in net when they just rid themselves of an anchor contract in Khabi. If that deal was a year longer that would have been more of an albatross and lessens the flexibility to make moves in other areas.

I think they'll likely want to acquire a "cheapish" younger goalie and spend the money in their top 9 and on D.

I don't think they have to be elite in net, just competent. Honestly if Dubnyk plays like he did this year going forward and they add a decent young co-starter or backup that can put up numbers slightly north of a 90-91% sv pct... they are in decent shape in goal and it would be an area of low/lesser concern imo.