View Single Post
Old
05-11-2013, 03:20 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Ah the 2007 series vs Detroit. It could be argued that Nabby was the best player in that series along with Grier and Jumbo. The Lang goal was embarrassing but it never would have happened if Marleau and Guerin turnover the puck at center ice.

Here's Game 2. Do you blame Nabby for any of those goals?

Marleau, Guerin and Ron Wilson are to blame for that choke job. Others too. I think Rivet and McLaren werent very good either iirc.
Perhaps that is the problem. Too often, there were too many players (including Nabakov), who ,for whatever reason, were "slumping". Call it puck luck, nerves, lack of versatility or adaptability, or whatever.

Understandably, since the bad permeates in the memories more than the good does, this measurement is unfair to SJ players since they've played so many playoff series over the past 8 years; a player is bound to have a sub-par one or even two. Even so, since 1997, which players' play have been acceptable over their tenures as Sharks? Off the top of my head, I'd say Mike Ricci, Scott Hannan, Vincent Damphousse, maybe Jonathon Cheechoo(can't remember a bad series from him), maybe Ryane Clowe, and Logan Couture with all his vast experience. Even Niemi didn't have a solid start to his SJ tenure.

Even when you look at the "non-core/non-utility" players, this holds true. I can think of Blake, Winnik (in a very short sample size), and maybe Rivet as RS success that played well in the postseason. Brown struggled in both tenures. Guerin was a disaster in every series. Moen was 0/1; Ekman constantly fell flat. Grier had a couple of bad series, Nichol laid an egg, Campbell was terrible against Dallas....even Malhotra only had what, one goal in 2010? I'll give Moore a pass....

But I'd like to think that any player that is part of your team's core needs to have more "good" series than bad series...and that a franchise player should never have a series like Marleau's last year, or Nabakov's vs. Anaheim,

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote