View Single Post
Old
05-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Yossarian54

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I guess I'm in the minority who loves Mike Gillis? He's a really smart man and I'm comfortable with him at the helm. He leaves no stone unturned. Yes, he's made some trades that he probably wouldn't have in hindsight, but there's risk in every trade. Your not going to win them all. Also, players produce under different circumstances. Just because Grabner scored 30 goals or Hodgson scored 30+ points doesn't mean they would have done it here or been successful here. You can look at Gillis' angle on everything he's done and say "ya that makes sense" but it doesn't always work out the way they planned. At least he has the balls to make moves. Ballard, it made sense - Hodgson trade made sense.... same with Booth. Everybody expects perfection but it doesn't always happen. Name me a gm that's perfect? Not even Holland.
No, I tend to agree with you.

I only have two minor gripes, they being not ditching Ballard immediately after 10-11 to allow Ehrhoff to stay; and seeming to want move towards a more grinding style when skill worked just fine up until then. But in both cases, there is a clear and justifiable rationale behind the decisions, which means I am comfortable with the man, if not those particular decisions.

What I find absolutely amazing to the point of complete bafflement is people criticising him for not moving Luongo at the deadline. Say we had moved him. Would we, as a fanbase, have been happy with the idea of Joe Cannata or a randomly obtained backup-calibre (AT BEST) goalie back-stopping this team in the Playoffs? Gillis would have been absolutely pilloried. As it is, the team was ****, and we choked. Oh well. Not really on goaltending. But to suggest that the lack of a deadline Luongo trade was a failing, when the worst case scenario of a Schneider injury came true... it's astonishing.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote