View Single Post
05-11-2013, 08:33 AM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Ask Dave Nonis what the market for a "high priced, highly valued", er, over paid, under performing goalie is, or Luongo.

We are stuck with him, end of story.
You can't say that.

Luongo is 34 and his best years are likely behind him. He has never proven he was the real deal in the playoffs IMO. People talk about the gold medal but I don't know that it's that relevant for many reasons.

And Luongo's deal bring him past 40... it's a problem.

Price on the other hand is signed for his prime years, is only 25 so we can only hope the best is ahead despite the lack of constant progression and some stagnation.

That being said, people always overestimate the value of goalies. Habs managed to get real solid value for Halak when his value was at its highest after a big season + playoffs run. Other than that, there's the Varlamov insanity.. Bishop for Conacher... Those are the best deals that come to mind. Thing is the market is more and more saturated with good goalies. If everyone has a fairly decent starter, then the value of these guys becomes a bit less.

I don't think we would like the return we would get for Price, and I wouldn't say we're stuck with him. He has shown he can be great in the past. Now it's a matter of getting back to that level and staying there. Is it training, coaching, mental or what ? I don't know.