Old
05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would be pretty surprised if the Canucks went for either of those trades.

I don't think people forget that. I think people look at the awful defense with no prospects in the pipe and no real good UFAs available, then look at the strength defensively in the forward crop as well as the forwards they have in the system with high defensive upside, plus the UFAs with good defensive abilities out there.

No one is knocking Couturier's defense. No one is saying that Laughton or whomever were to replace Couturier is going to be better or even as good. The idea is simple: the downgrade in defense between Couturier and his replacement will be outweighed by the gain on the blueline from Edler (or whomever the guy is in return). It really isn't that complicated. Now, you may not agree with that "math" relating to the gain vs. loss, but it isn't that people are forgetting about Couturier's defense.
Is Edler truly good enough defensively to mend the hole made by trading Couturier? I wager he isn't. Edler is just another one of those players we already have enough of...a top 4 guy who isn't a true number 1. We already have plenty of those. We don't need to trade people to get another. We don't need to gut the forward group's defensive play to do it, either.