View Single Post
Old
05-11-2013, 07:20 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I've wondered the same thing. Nabokov has been adequate in getting them to the post-season, but Luongo is a definite upgrade over him now and going forward. The Islanders also don't have a lot in their pipeline in net. Kevin Poulin is probably their closest to having an NHL impact and he's been average at best. Age-wise he doesn't fit in with the rest of their core, but the Isles are showing they are ready to compete now, and goaltender that can keep them in games on a consistent basis is something they need, I don't think Nabokov can provide that going forward.

But with the Isles likely having to buyout DiPietro this off-season, I somehow doubt another goalie on a long term deal is something that would interest them, although you never know.
Oh yes, I keep forgetting about Dipietro (easy to do, lol). Ya, that's prob gonna cost them $23M ish to buy him out? Would be tough for a team with no $$ to take on Lu's contract.

I think Gillis is gonna have to take back a buyout contract in a goalie trade - 'if' he wants to expand the marketplace. A team like the Nucks with $$ have an opportunity here to perhaps 'buy' a highend player or two in this goalie trade. Curious if they'd 'think' about taking Dipeitro, buy him out then raid NYI prospects cupboard?