View Single Post
05-11-2013, 09:07 PM
vCash: 500
I agree with most of the ratings here, with two exceptions: Hartnell and Read.

Hartnell was dead awful this year other than his hat trick. 11 points in 32 games is unacceptable, broken foot or not. He averaged .78 minor penalties a game to lead the team by far, and anyone who watched this year knows they were incredibly stupid penalties to take (to compare, Timonen had to take a lot but they were almost always to stop a scoring chance against). It's not like he's great in the defensive end either. Hartnell was as bad as Briere this year, if not worse for all the penalties. He had the broken foot excuse, but a good portion of his bad play was bad decision making which can't be excused by injury.

Read: I think he was excellent this year. He was invisible a lot of the time after he came back from injury, but he came back from torn rib cage muscles in what, 2 weeks? 3? He was playing injured for most of the second half of the season and still managed 24 points in 42 games, while remaining responsible defensively and making smart decisions. I like Read a lot, and feel like he always does the small things and always puts in the effort. He's the kind of player that you want to have on your team.

Yes, I excuse Read's mediocre performance on account of his injury and don't give Hartnell the same benefit. But like I said, Read made smart decisions where Hartnell had the worst decision making on the team for most of the time. And Read came back extremely early, whereas Hartnell had most of the 6-week recovery time he was prescribed IIRC. And in any case, working through torn rib cage muscles versus working through a mostly healed broken foot are two completely different injuries.

It's amazing on a team as young as ours that it was the veterans (Hartnell, Briere, Coburn, Talbot and Bryzgalov) that dragged the team down with poor individual performances and not the young kids. The only complaint I have for our young guys is many of them (Simmonds, Schenn, sometimes Giroux and Voracek) aren't as committed on the defensive side of the puck.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote