View Single Post
Old
05-11-2013, 10:38 PM
armandh01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Myers is a 23-year-old defenseman signed to a decent cap hit long term. There's little doubt that he will rebound imo; he has massive upside. Long-term I think he is a perfect deal to make, and I'd nab him if it is in any way possible. I sincerely doubt he is available, but he's precisely the kind of player needed for the team to move forward. He has a wrist injury; it's not like a back injury or something else potentially risky. The guy's play has fallen off offensively some (and that's the only possible reason he might be available), but he is 23 and quite legitimately having the potential of a Pronger or Chara type. He is a huge minute eater, who is crazy difficult to play against, young and highly skilled. I don't see the downside or real risk here. If he's available, you get him without hesitation, and you wait for him to figure his game out again and dominate in the league for years to come. The guy is simply a gem. All young defenseman struggle at times.

You don't see the downside? He was playing like crap before he suffered a major injury. Now he has to recover from the said injury, rehab it, get back up to strength just so he can start from being crap again while we hope he becomes to star he is meant to be. You want to take on 5.5 cap hit on that? Absolutely asinine. We need a functional Dman NOW not bet on his health. We did that with Whitney.

This also isn't a case of "struggling at times", it is a case of struggling for awhile and that was before the injury; which will probably exasperated whatever issues he had before hand.