Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
I hope Morgan makes the team next year. I'd like to see:

Phaneuf
Franson
Gardiner
Rielly
Gunnarsson

Then maybe go out and get another vet, with Fraser as the 7th man. Trade Liles IMO.
Way too many puckmovers, which would be great for our Powerplay, but we would get killed in the corners and in the playoffs, when shutdown defenceman actually earn their paychecks the most and value goes way up. Due to intensity levels increasing and matchups becoming a bigger factor. One of Franson, Gardiner or Rielly has to go IMO.

I would love to see Franson and our 1st go for a primo #2 shutdown to play with Dion. Then Gardiner can play 2nd pairing minutes (And 1st powerplay) with Gunnarsson. Rielly can then get sheltered minutes on the 3rd pairing with a Fraser/Holzer/Blacker/Liles

OR

Keep Franson on the 2nd pairing (which he has earned this year) and package Jake Gardiner with the 1st round pick and another asset (Kulemin, Grabovski, Frattin or others) and try to pick up a #1 center and a good shutdown defenceman. Maybe not good enough to pair with Dion, but good enough to play with Franson (2nd pair minutes) and get some of those big minutes off of Dion and Dion can continue to play with Gunnarsson.

Either plan is good for me.