View Single Post
Old
05-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliedad29 View Post
What?? Here is another quote from the study... "we found that the risk of injury resulting in more than seven days of time loss from play was 33% lower among players with two years of bodychecking experience in Pee Wee (ages 1112) than among those without such bodychecking experience." They arrived at this conclusion by comparing the bantam players in Quebec and Alberta.

I treat kids with sport-related concussions on a regular basis, as well as other primarily musculoskeletal non-surgical sports injuries. Although I would agree that any injury to the brain is not good, the vast majority of concussions are not "severe" and the symptoms do generally resolve quickly and completely, and those kids return to playing their chosen sports. Flipantly dismissing the potential long-term complications of other "severe" (the authors' term) injuries such as dislocated and/or separated shoulders, cruciate ligament tears, meniscus tears, fractures, etc. shows a complete disregard for the future health and well-being for these kids, and these are the majority of injuries we see from collision sports.

My son just finished his second yr. of peewee at the AA level. In his case he is fortunate to be an early birthdate who has grown a lot (he is 5' 9", 160 lbs and just turned 13), and he loves the game, hitting and all. Over his 2 years in peewee, his teams played probably at least 100 games in total, and in each season we experienced one concussion on our team. One player missed the remainder of the season and one returned in 2 weeks with zero further complications. The player who experienced the more serious injury fell awkwardly and hit his head on the ice completely independant of a bodycheck. The player who missed 2 weeks had his head down and was hit with a legal, clean bodycheck.

I know I'm rambling a bit, but I guess my point is that in collision sports injuries unfortunately do happen. By removing bodychecking from peewee we probably will be sparing many 11-12 yr olds from injury, I just won't be seeing them in my office until they are 13-14 now.

Experts are finding that cumulative effects of concussions may be more serious than we thought. 11 and 12 year olds are more susceptible to concussions. Once you have had a concussions, you're more susceptible to future concussions. All reasons to delay body contact.

As for the 33%. WE'll agree to disagree. Why would they qualify the 33% percent with a statement about AB PeeWee players if they're comparing AB Bantam to QC Bantam players? That doesn't make ANY sense at all. What do PeeWee stats in AB have to do with AB Bantam and QC Bantam players.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote