View Single Post
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Bryzgalov's Blueline
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Definitely, Chris. Making the jump as a forward to the NHL is much easier than making the jump as a defenseman. Forwards just want to fit in at first, and then gradually become difference makers. Defenseman aren't necessarily afforded that luxury because of their importance to the team. They have much more pressure on them from the get-go.

I like Gus, but I'm not in love with how they've developed him. It seems to have worked because he appears to have an NHL future, but the constant up and down between leagues could have really screwed him up. I would prefer to either leave him down there full time or keep him up and live with the mistakes that are bound to happen with a developing guy. Injuries played a part in it, but the coaching decisions certainly didn't help.
Yeah, I think they ****ed around with Gus a little too much.

However, the lockout was likely the best thing that could've happened for his development. Injury aside, he was given patience because of the Flyers' inability to rush him. They were forced into that position.

I'm confident though that had they be given the ability, they would've severely stunted his growth. How they managed his development up until the lockout was a solid demonstration of that.

Another bonus we got out of this ****** year, but I'll take it.