View Single Post
Old
05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I could live with him not being "hard" to play against cause he's sound positionally but it's his puck moving abilities or should I say "LACK OF" makes him a tweener for me that wont be worth the 4million plus a year contract to re-sign him.

He's solid not going to lie but think of a top 4 like this for 5 v 5 hockey

Phaneuf
Franson
Gardiner
Reilly

Add 2 big, tough, shot blocking, shut down types that would be used heavily for the PK you end up with 2 pairings that could be relied on to play 25 minutes a game if need be. A top 4 like that would be the envy of NHL teams that the Leafs would have as a D core.

Think of the transition game with the speed of the forwards. Let teams try and dump & chase with a Gardiner and a Reilly back there to skate and move the puck.

I see a top 4 like that and I think to myself why invest 4+ million a year on Gunnarson. Just doesn't make sense to me. Especially when you got a Jesse Blacker ready for promotion to the big club on top of Reilly in the pipe lines.

Don Cherry criticized Vancouver's GM for not having any guts well IMO Nonis should show guts by making this Leaf team even younger and promote from within, D"Amigo is a player they should clear a roster spot for as a 3rd line 2way depth PK player in letting Mac go. He will be a favorite of Carlyle's

YOUTH MOVEMENT AND WATCH THIS TEAM GROW should be the way Nonis moves with this team.
Franson is an offensive d-man, and is adequate in his own zone. He's not who I'd want out there protecting the lead or when the opposition team is pressuring. Kind of like Carlyle puts out Gunnarsson to protect the lead over Franson.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.