View Single Post
Old
05-12-2013, 04:44 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't know why I even opened this thread again, and I REALLY don't know why I'm replying right now, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It was stated as 12% not 0.12% so the extra decimal places are 2 not 4 in this context. How often do you see shooting %'s as 0.12? If you do you must be running in different circles than I do.
First of all, I didn't say 4 extra decimal places, I said "to a 4th decimal place", meaning two more than what percent represents (per cent, or "per hundred"). Second...well, there isn't really a second, because everything you're saying here is arguing something I didn't say.

Quote:
12.03 > 12.029 > 12.028 etc. In Hawaii our excise tax is 4.166% not sure how GST is up there but here it is 0.04166 which is one more decimal place than is being referenced here.
And if you had a bet about Hawaiian excise tax or GST, you'd be 100.03% correct, but I haven't seen anywhere that records shooting percentage to the ten-thousandth.

Quote:
Also why use 0.0002 when the difference is 0.0003? 3250 shots at 0.0003 would equal a little over a goal. Jagr has 4,881 career regular season shots and Selanne has 4,429. Not sure why you would mention 0.0002 when trying to make a point here if you indeed have no horse in this race? Why not do the real math instead of rounding down to try and prove a faulty point?
Alright, that was my bad. I used .0002 because I had in my head that 12.02% was the number you guys were arguing, but clearly I had it wrong (which is equally strange considering I used the right number everywhere else).

Quote:
12.00 > 12.03? Where can I learn this new form of math?
Well, that was an unfortunate typo. Of course, that's not what I meant to type. It should've read 11.99 < 12.00 < 12.03. I stand by everything else I said in that post though.

Quote:
The bet was over 12% there were no stipulations saying how much over 12%, no matter how much you try to portray it differently, try to change the outcome due to a technicality, etc. 0.0003 > 0.0000 unless you can prove otherwise. I guess the biggest difference here is that had it been 11.9999999999 I would've conceded defeat and taken my avatar with a small slice of humble pie.
And I would've made the same argument in your favour. Of course, any calculator I use would probably wouldn't have that many decimal places and would've rounded that last one, which would've equated to 12 even, so maybe not.

Anyway, this doesn't matter to me, and I've already put more time discussing it than it deserves. I don't even plan on opening this thread again.