View Single Post
Old
05-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Eh, only takes on jackass to hit you while your head is down to put you out for several months. That's why I'd watch the games.
I'd watch too, just so you know what you're getting yourself into.

I think a lot of this question has to do with how well you skate, how in shape you are, and maybe how old you are. I played my last checking game at 29, just shy of my 30th birthday, and I wouldn't go back, even though I've been playing my entire life. I was coaxed out of semi retirement when I went back to college, played a few years of ACHA, had a lot of fun, but it did end up taking a toll on my body.

I think a big consideration should be who these guys are. If it's a friendly scrimmage with some contact, I'd be more likely to give it a go, as the likelihood of somebody trying to run you will be close to nil. When I was playing in high school/college, etc, guys routinely tried to take your head off, which you depending on your circumstances, should be staying away from.

So, I'd check it out, just be careful and keep your head up if you decide to play. Remember also, lead with your shoulder, not with your arms or you're just going to end up causing problems. Beginner hitters almost always want to lead with their arms, and it's a hard habit to break.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote