Bernier trade in offseason?
View Single Post
05-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Originally Posted by
- Ray Emery (CHI) - 30 years old
- Niklas Backstrom (MIN) - 35 years old
- Evgeni Nabkov (NYI) - 37 years old
- Thomas Griess (SJS)
- Nicoli Khabibulin (EDM) - 40 years old
- Mike Smith (PHX) - 31 years old
- Dan Ellis (CAR) - 32 years old
- Jose Theodore (FLA) - 36 years old
- Chris Mason (NAS) - 37 years old
- Anton Khudobin (BOS)
- Roberto Luongo (VAN) - 34 years old
- Ilya Bryzgalov (PHI) - 32 years old
- Jonas Hiller (ANA) - 31 years old
The only two players on this list younger than 30 are Greiss and Khudobin, both of whom are 27. If any team wants a young, talented goalie for the future, the best available option is Jonathan Bernier. Does anyone really thing that any of these goaltenders, besides Hiller, Bryzgalov, and Luongo (and even then, really), could take them to a Stanley Cup?
The Islanders should trade for Jonathan Bernier. It's a trade that makes sense. He's been tested and prepared. He's learned alongside Quick for the past seven years. He is a solid player that will grow with the team, and that would be an excellent addition to a young Islander team that just made the playoffs for the first time in quite a while.
It would cost them either Nino Neiderreiter or a first round pick and a prospect, but they should do it. That's a fair trade for both sides.
Any one of those guys on the list above could be a solid backup goalie next season. In an ideal situation, that's what would happen. For what it's worth, I'm a big Islanders fan as well.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by markisonfire