View Single Post
Old
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I understand that what i'm describing isn't the reality of today, but there's no valid reason why is can't be. its all very complicated because that's how everyone wants it to be. everyone involved makes it as complicated as possible in order to create this industry for themselves, and ultimately make money.

kids are definitely being pulled in many different directions, but an agent only adds another unnecessary pull.

an excellent question as to why a 15 year old should be forced to play somewhere he doesn't want to play. i'll take a high-profile kid from my area as an example. lets say that if Nathan noel had his choice to play with any team in the qmjhl, he'd choose Halifax. assuming they want him, why can't he just sign with Halifax? why is he forced into a draft?

what I find so ridiculous about the whole thing is that everyone knows the draft is a farce. the league knows, the teams know, the parents and agents know, the kids know, and the fans know. so why does the charade continue? obviously the answer to that question is...money. its an charade that continues simply to provide jobs for people.

everyone knows its a total sham, yet everyone pretends its legit. that's just weird.

the whole "playing the ncaa card" scheme that we see every year is lying and cheating. I assume this trick was thought up by some agent a long time ago, and obviously it continues today.

absolutely everyone is playing the same game. as I said, everyone involved knows full well that the draft is nothing but a charade, yet everyone continues on as if its legit. if you don't play the game, you certainly risk falling behind, but if I was a wealthy team owner, its a risk i'd be willing to take. I think that's how this mess will be fixed. someone is going to have a stones to stand up and call this what it is....a total and complete sham. someone just needs to think outside the box, not be part of the charade, and call it for what it is. that's when it will start to change for the better.

I find the "agent" angle very interesting. who are these guys? what kind of education and experience do they have that qualifies them to do this? and more interestingly, how much do they get paid? what's the going rate to be a 15 year old kid's agent for a year? do they sign contracts with the kids and their families? and what specifically do the agents provide for this? the role of the agent seems very vague and ambiguous to me.
the draft isn't a farce, i think you should do research before getting too involved in this, this is my job so I know this area way too well.....it is not like there are 10 or 15 players playing NCAA it is usually one or two guys...and again a team can not draft a player that is not going to play for him and throw away a future, it is not realistic and again that would be a dumb move by a team to waste that pick, you do not have many chances to improve your team and the draft being a HUGE one you do not waste that to prove a point....if a player falls to round 3 or so who you think could be playing it then I say take him and see if he is bluffing or not but do not waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy your not sure about because the only one that deal is going to hurt is your team....and it is not like the players are doing anything wrong they are exploiting an avenue given to them at the moment and in 50% of the cases the player is really going NCAA, but to say a draft is BS basically is so far from the truth........you still have the players go in the order teams like the guy beside maybe one or two guys, not like everyone has deals.

also above to say what is the sense of scouts if agents are pumping the kids like i said well the agents we all know them, they are at all the tournaments with us, there are agents who are respected and when they say "I have a guy from PEI playing at a prep school in Ontario that is really good" well then we will go take a look at him and see what "WE" as a team think of him.

Im still scratching my head over how you think drafting a guy in the 1st round and just throwing the pick away and letting a guy go NCAA rather than a team he has a deal worked out with is going to benifit your team, you miss that whole year getting an impact player and if your picking high you really do not have much you are working with in the 1st place, so now you have another year of the organization or fans to have anything to build around or look forward to the following year....so say this year I take Jeremy Roy 1st overall knowing he is playing NCAA game or maybe he is just going NCAA instead of playing the game but me being a team I can not tell that, so I take J Roy, 2nd overall gets Nicolas Roy or another highly ranked guy who is already saying he is coming to play in the league....so next year comes and J Roy does not attend my team BUT all the other teams have great rookies playing for them and making an impact on their teams now, so i just lost out BIG TIME, being the GM there the ownders and investors are going to come down on my head, not to mention the fans what they think and my team in general having to go through another year of not having much plus the fact knowing I could have taken a great player who would have come it and played for me and I would have had something to build my team around because when all is said and done it is on how well you do as a team not proving a player right and wrong it stratagy of this game is to have your team win not to prove points it is not a game anymore it is a business and our record is everything, if your not improving your team then what good are you there and with a bone head move doing that at the draft you would find yourself out of a job pretty fast. It is like layers with contracts and salary caps in the NHL, they put caps on salaries but lawyers find ways around the cap to get the most for their client eh, it is all a business.

as for the agent kid thing an agent usually does not get paid untill the kid goes pro and signs a money contract then they get 4%....so they invest their money flying the kid to camps and stuff hoping in the long run he is going to pay off....not all kids have agents just the really good players do and the agents have to get them early because by the time they are 16 most of them are gone.

Last edited by scoutman1: 05-12-2013 at 07:29 PM.