View Single Post
Old
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
First of all, any Cup winning team has more than one great player, that includes the two guys you are comparing him to, Fedorov and Forsberg. Secondly, the Pens don't win either Cup without Mario. End of story.

That would really be the only way Mario wouldn't be picked over someone else in the NHL at that time, but this isn't what we are talking about. I am not talking about the risks here, I am talking about who is the best individual player in the NHL at this time. Mario was that guy.

First of all, nobody was Gretzky in the postseason. The closest would be Richard. Lemieux, just like pretty much every other all-time great has less Cups than we would like to see. Howe played in 5 finals after his last Cup. Never won a Cup after 27, never won a Cup without Lindsay. Orr should have won more than just two somewhere along the line. Mario had some magnificent moments in the postseason but in all honesty somewhere along the line should have won more. If you are comparing him to Gretzky in the postseason it is no contest, Gretzky wins by a significant margin here, but you're comparing him to Fedorov and Forsberg. Neither player was ever the player a 1996 Mario was even at their best.

You say not to look solely at offense but explain to me where in the world these two can make up this gap:

PPG - Lemieux 2.30
Forsberg 1.41
Fedorov 1.37
Phil exactly how is scoring 7 points in 2 separate blowouts and 5 points in 4 other games and 4 points in 10 other games help Mario and the Pens win any games outside of those games played?

That's 74 points in 16 GP

At some point some, if not most, of those points are piling on points and none of those points have any direct impact on any other games.

Thus the difference that Forsberg and Feds, two way players, that they have to make up is not as great as some are making it out to be here.

Feds clearly does for me and Foppa might, although I haven't looked at his case as clearly.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote