View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Rekus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I know this area pretty well too. you don't have the market cornered on that.

what's your job? obviously you're personally involved, so you're part of the problem. you know the draft is a farce, yet you can't or won't admit it, like all the others who work in the industry. if you admit its a farce, you're admitting that your job is a farce, and obviously you're not going to do that. its in your personal best interest to keep the charade going.

so you'll listen to an agent in this circumstance? you know he's just trying to line his own pockets, right? I assume if "his kid" gets drafted by you, it means more money for him. yet you fall for this scam and will travel to Ontario just to see "his kid"? that's weird.

if I know 100% the kid is going ncaa, I wouldn't draft him. if I suspect he's "playing the ncaa card", i'm definitely going to draft him.

as I said, i'd take my chances that 9 times out of 10, my team will benefit by taking the best player available, regards of what he and his agent are saying. either the kid will play for my team, or i'll be able to move him for a good return. and if he actually goes ncaa and I get nothing from that pick, so be it. sucks for me. but again, i'd take the risk that it wouldn't cripple my team forever. the tri-city americans missed on toews, but it didn't kill them.

so a kid at age 14 or 15 signs a contract with some guy calling himself an agent that says if the kid ever happens to turn pro, this agent gets 4% of the money? that's totally absurd.

and the agent spends his own money flying the kid around at ages 14 and 15, in the hopes that some day the kid might turn pro? that sounds even more absurd. ridiculous business model. that's a far crazier risk that drafting a kid who claims he's going ncaa.
Not absurd about 14-15 year old having a "family advisor". We have one. The agents have been chasing my kid for a year before we settled on a very reputable 'family advisor". We are unsure what route my son will eventually take. He already has a Division 1 offer. Got it whan he was 14. The advisor is there is to advise. We have not gone through this before. We do not know all. Most importantly - THIS IS A BUSINESS - with 15 -16 years as the product. So yes, we as a family want to make the best decision for our kid. Having a GM from the Q league give us a pitch - is a one sided affair. I have no idea if he would be telling me the truth or selling me a bag of BS. Our advisor would be able to tell us ...