View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 12:02 PM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
It's not just Tampa Bay though. Colorado getting Varlamnov, that cost a 1st and a conditional pick (I think it was a 2nd). St. Louis paid Lars Eller (a very recent 1st round pick) and Ian Schultz for Halak. Columbus gave a 2nd and a 4th for Bobrovsky and a 4th. Andrew Raycroft fetched Tuukka Rask. Kari Lehtonen garnered former 1st round pick Ivan Vishnevisky and a 4th. Some of those guys were starters when they were traded, or were at one point starters, but age wise they were all similar to Bernier at the time of the trade.
Varlamov was traded before the 11/12 season for a 2012 1st round pick, because I'm guessing Colorado thought that with Varlamov they would be a better team in 11/12, thus pushing the pick further down the board.

Montreal traded Halak at the absolute height of his value after that playoff run he had in 2010.

Quote:
And the market has only gone up in recent trades with Varlamnov, Lindback and Bishop. The fact DL reportedly (according to some posters here) is asking for a 1st and a 3rd/prospect is also based on something. He didn't just pull that out of thin air.
If Lombardi is asking for a 1st+, that's also part of the reason Bernier is still a King. Which is ok, because the Kings shouldn't just trade him for the sake of it, and shouldn't be in any hurry to do so. This isn't Loktionov wanting out, or Gagne wondering what his future is. Bernier is potentially too important of a player for the Kings. He dresses every game.

Quote:
A pair of 2 2nds and another pick/tier two prospect isn't to far off IMO.
I would agree that that's more along the lines of what we would see. If anyone is thinking a 2013 1st round pick, a roster player, a good prospect, I'd say hold off on any of that talk.

The Kings are not dealing from a position of strength, since everyone knows Bernier wants to play, but hasn't had the chance to do it over a long period of time.

I'd say the earliest Bernier might get traded would be early July. Teams figure out who they can or do get in free agency, and only then does Bernier get dealt for actual assets. If he still gets dealt. I don't know if any GM's are worried about the Bernier train leaving the station too quickly.