View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
The Big Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yes and no. Generally speaking you should be able to change your 4th line center every year and it shouldn't matter. For someone reason in Edmonton it's an issue. However if I'm signing a 36 year old in Cullen it's not for the 4th line, but as a vet to bridge the gap until we can find someone better. Not every move has to be long-term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, I'd sign him to be a 2/3C here and be rid of Horcoff altogether. Mainly as a 3C unless we deal Gagner, but a guy that can step into the top 6 if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I don't see why that's a negative. We sign him to an overpay at two years, and he'll consider it I'm sure. He may be 9 months younger than Smyth, but Smyth was slow even in his prime, Cullen was not. Smyth played a style that has caused his body to break down. Cullen did not. Cullen has always played smart hockey, those types of guys seem to last a few more years. He would be a good fix for now, and brings the veteran leadership that this team is lacking.
I'm not saying don't sign Cullen; I'm just saying I'd prefer a younger option who'll likely be here longer. In other words, just skip the bridge all together and sign the right guy. Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to sign Cullen without buying out Horcoff (I am a huge supporter of using a compliance buyout on him, so Bryanbryoil I agree). What I'm saying is that if I'm Cullen and only have a few years left, I'm not choosing the Oilers because they're not ready to win yet, he likely won't accept a 4th line center role, and the Oilers already have Horcoff as a 3rd line C. Since many of us believe Horcoff isn't getting bought out, what incentive is there for Cullen to sign here?

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote