View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
For once I agree with Lowetide, the idea that we'd take a D and possibly wait 3-4 years for him to develop is a scary proposition given where our team if currently. That said I'd still be trying very hard to trade up and secure that center. Carolina is the perfect team to talk to in that regard. I'd happily overpay if it meant us walking away with Barkov or Monahan. I would be all in and nothing short of our big 5 would be on the table to land that player.
I don't think that should really be a deterrent to drafting a defenseman.

We do need help now, but the extra help in 2-3 seasons might be even more valuable.

Take Klefbom for instance. If he steps into the NHL next season and plays like a solid second pairing defenseman, is anyone going to be disappointed that it took 2 seasons for him to get there?

MacT can't mortgage the future just to ice a competent line-up next season or the season after. If he trades down for Lazar, I hope it's because he thinks Lazar will be more valuable to the organization than Nurse and not that because he thinks Lazar will be in the NHL sooner than Nurse.