View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
sa cyred
Trying to Chill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Yandle is really not as bad as people say he is, especially on a team that past Timonen really lacks an offensive threat on the blueline. People say Matt Carle is a comparable, but it's just inaccurate.

CONS: Sheltered this past year in Phoenix. Obviously OEL is a much better pure #1 defender, while Yandle is more like Mike Green. 60% of his starts were offensive zone starts and he didn't face a very high quality of competition. Not bad defensively by any means, but he is turnover prone and makes some plays that would definitely remind people of Carle. Isn't a true #1 defender as he doesn't provide the elite two-way play guys like Suter and Weber provide. Can be inconsistent, like how he had 15 of his points in only 6 games. 15 points in his other 42.

PROS: Excellent skater, excellent shot, excellent passer, excellent puck carrier. At one point this year he was the best defender at moving the puck into the offensive zone successfully. Guy has the ability to play big minutes at even strength and huge minutes on the powerplay. I'm sure he can do a little PK too but don't be expecting Ryan Suter. Yandle will likely be able to score 10+ goals every year and will be able to put up anywhere from 40 to 60 points. Really good at knowing when to pinch, but like all pinching defenders might get caught up ice.

So really, we should know we aren't getting Ryan Suter or any player like him. We can, however, get one of the best offensive defenders in the league. His caphit is $5.25 which is comparable to Wideman, Byfuglien, Carle, Wisniewski and Martin. I'd much much rather have Yandle than any of them.

The cost of acquiring him is likely the biggest issue I see facing us. I wouldn't do it for Couturier+ especially if the + was something more valuable. I'd do it for Laughton+ but not if the + was the 11th overall... etc. Gonna be hard to find a price any of us are happy with. I hope they go after Rundblad instead and keep the 11th overall. The defense for 2013-14 is really not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be though, IMO.

Coburn - Timonen
Gustafsson - Schenn
Grossmann - Meszaros

Really not that bad, if they stay healthy/find their game again/continue to develop.
If this was NHL13, we'd have a great defense! /sarcasm.
We will agree to disagree. I have watched him play (dont know if you have but throwing this out there) and the guy plays VERY similar in a sense to Carle. One thing he does have that Carle doesn't is a shot that hits the net. That being said though, there is a reason why he is being sheltered. He averages just about 20 minutes a game because of his deficiency on the defense end. They don't shelter him because they want him rested, it's just that there are better "defenders" who defend than he is. I can throw the stats out there, but most here don't care about that sort of stuff so I wont.