Old
05-13-2013, 03:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd have no problem with it at all. You don't see teams who dump a big contract on a UFA goalie winning Cups in the cap era. Buying a goalie off the market, when they tend to be overpriced, cuts into team depth. It has yet to prove successful. It's better to grow your goalie from inside the organization.
The cap era is since 2005-06. So there have been seven champions in the Cap era (not including this year). Five of the seven goalies that have won since then have been home-grown (MAF, Osgood, Ward, Niemi, Quick). Giguere was not home-grown and Tim Thomas was not home-grown. Several Cup losers were also not home-grown (Leighton, Roloson, Luongo). While I agree it is better to grow your goalie (or defender, or forward, etc), signing a free agent goalie does not preclude you from winning a Cup and it is a silly notion to even suggest that it would. Preferable to draft/develop your own, obviously. Requirement? I don't think so.

That being said, I can't imagine people being ok with the situation if the scenario was reversed (i.e. Bob failing here and Bryz excelling elsewhere). Instead of saying the Flyers have no patience, the line would be that the Flyers can't develop their own goalies and should have gone with a proven veteran instead of a no-namer who recently imploded in the playoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote