View Single Post
Old
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
jdd4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You're ignoring a season in which we were the second best team, and were two wins from going to the Mem Cup. I don't disagree with you on yesterday's game, but gee you're damn hard to please. All in all, this was a great season, barring the final result. If the Oilers did this, we'd be doing cartwheels.

I went to lots of games and bought the $99 playoff package, and they were some of the best deals ever.
I'm angry and disappointed at the outcome of this series. Anything less than a Memorial Cup berth is a disappointment for this team. That is where I personally, and I'm pretty sure the organization and many other fans, set the bar at. Setting the bar that high is testament to just how good this team is/was, and not just against poor competition.

At the end of the day Portland was just too much to handle. Their commitment to their defensive game was impeccable. Every time Edmonton would break in three wide, Portland was already ready to defend three across. With regards to the powerplay, I'm not sure if Edmonton's was poor or if Portland's PK was just that good. They kept everything to the outside, gave no shooting lanes for the point shots, and cleared rebounds and bodies around the net.

Looking at the roster, it looks not too bad for next year with the exception of the defense. I assume Legault and Corbett stay on as 20 year olds allowing us to add (hopefully) another Cheek type of player. NYI said they wouldn't rush Reinhart, so he may be back. Samuelsson has shown he's not NHL ready yet, so I'd expect him back. Wruck, Foster, St Croix, Ewanyk, Cheek, Lowe, Musil, Gernat and Brossoit will or probably be graduating either due to age or being AHL eligible. Jarry has shown that he's earned a shot at being a WHL starter.

It will be pretty interesting to see how Green fills those holes in the offseason and if the right players take that step forward to make us highly competitive again. Portland also has lots of '94s and '95s on their roster - best of three???

jdd4 is offline   Reply With Quote